History

Wadebridge Bridge

The town was originally known as 'Wade' and got the second half of it's now-known name when a bridge was built here in the 15th century.

The building of the bridge was planned by Reverend Thomas Lovibond as he grew more and more concerned over the number of humans and animals that died trying to cross the River Camel.

The bridge was completed in 1468, when Wade became Wadebridge.

During the English Civil War, the bridge became a vital point for Oliver Cromwell who came to take the bridge with his army or Dragoons and Horsemen.

On 30th September 1834, the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway was opened and although originally intended to carry sand from the Camel Estuary inland, it actully carried a load of 400 passengers.  

The town hall was opened in 1888 by Sir Paul Molesworth and it was originally called Molesworth Hall. The Town Trust took ownership of the hall before it eventually came into the ownership of the then Parish Council. 1962 saw the refurbishment and improvement of the town hall from the run down building it had become.

In 1894, Wadebridge Town Football Club was founded and still to this day plays its home games at Bodieve Park.

Following railway cutbacks, the final passenger train left Wadebridge station in 1967.

This railway has now been transformed into what we know today as the Camel Trail joining Wadebridge, Padstow and Bodmin.

For more on Wadebridge, you can visit the the Museum webisite below:
Wadebridge and District Museum